Alain AyersHope you find it interesting
Ambient music
Drift out towards the end
Setting various things up
More specifically – website / blogs
Real emphasis is to get you involved
Reams and reams of sentences
Doodles
Something untypical
Play with us – work with us
Writing result of this
Conference
Strange narratives
Weird connections
Non-linear
Not my children but my spouse
Comments brief speculative spacious
Technologies are all new and developing
Life and creativity
Compartmentalisation
Connectivity
Screen – ubiquitous object image location
Screen incredibly dispersed – Big Chill
Sites of experiencing also sites of learning
Sites of learning potentially anywhere everywhere
Multiple spaces – the notion of simultaneity
No singular notion of where the artwork sits or what shape it takes
Not necessarily technology that drives it could be the conceptual, cultural, mythical background
Manuel Castells – movement from the centre to the periphery
Networks that are going to be continuously on the move
How do we stay in the flow
Worthiness of the process
Determination to resist centralising tendencies – might be political, institutional centralisation – we are continually trying to break these apart.
Make the work live in a sense now – participant / observation
Trying to find out what communicates
Notion of art practice as a coproduction
Notion that we’re moving from the idea of individual making the work to making the artwork collaboratively
Our intention is fixed seminar session – ongoing presence – blog through the conference
Two things I saw in the newspaper – very inspiring – close together on the page
Freud and Michelangelo – develops that onto the idea of two positions held in conflict
Not beautifully seamless – problematic
Technological domains
Flowing synthesised spaces
Incredibly messy – beautifully challenged
Jacques Ranciere – poet with a designer
Child’s guessing game – what’s the similarity / difference between this and this
This is the proper way to do it – there is no ‘proper’ way to have research based practice
Check my watch
At the point of proliferation with connectivity – odd sort of disjunture – creativity and institualised conflict.
Just in time – jetting something in just at the point of need.
In another way – the technology demands that you come in you fly in and you log in and the information is there – the point of knowledge
Co-production – art practice as collaborative – how at pg level how much more do we have to think about the individual – don’t have to feed in at the level of the individual…
Things start to slip again.
Don’t have to start drawing lines around what it is that you do
Cultural intercontext
Mic gets his paper and is ready to speed talk! It's already 2.30
Alain asks me was the timing ok ship of water
Michael Pinchbeck
What doing a lot of undertaken as an artist and a writier and now with own practice
What is it to write live
How do ideas crystalise
I will start with another project its called the long and winding road ands asks questions when the documentation of the work becomes the work
Car was packed
2008 journey ends
travel sweet?
Via the re view mirror? Memento
On the road im inhabiting the role as drived I want to miss quote
The blog is an online space and creative slip roads
A space which asks when does the documentation become the artwork
Work seases to mean and the online space the blog allows for the reconfiguration of meaning
Absense and presense
Performance in a church
Mic stokes his head he must be thinking and talking not reading
Alains foot moved up and caught my eye, a lady in front coughs and holds a pen to her face
Red shoes like mine are in front of me in the audience? Audience or participators or conference delegeats?
This paper explores the space a on line space an observatory not a laborarorty like for Rhiannon
Ifound myseklf writing about writing
Private act publiuc… must remember that one when I speak about privaste scars being made public on my notes somewhere
Alain has his phone in his hands, my hands are being cauight typing right now as you read this as I type this … Rhiannon! Hee hee name caught
Memory are key things
The chip shop round the corner the betting shop
Introduces the piece and pointed out the health and safty signs
The drama group will be playing themselves and we were not there
I think there are 12 people to my left stage left and there are 12 to my right stage right
A perfect balanced audience I wonder what they are thinking right now as I am typing as they are listening to mic and we are viewing the church the presenation the lights the lecture hall I now pass the typing over mic is reading his end line the lovely quote I like
Rhiannon Jones
In 2006 I had a question – do remnants of history exist on the body – as an artist I wanted to explore this question – I started to think about an invisible space – I set up website which initially I could set up as a means to collate data
Local narratives – hidden stories – remnats of the past
New audience
Outside inside
Two very different roles to play
Scientist / artist
Asking them to recall their scar stories
Studied wound cells and talked to people about what they found out… the cells migrate towards and away from the wound
The cells are the pink things
The cells are currently trying to migrate – touch each other – heal the skin
The way that cells move on our body are the same way people move usiong technology
Cells leave wound sites the same way people leave blogs and websites
A sense of life and a sense of loss.
I started to ask people about scars
The project reached people who told me they didn’t do art
The scar triggered a dialogue whether it was an accident
Whether family and friends were involved
Whether it was a war
People were honest
I found thatr people started to enjoy themselves by preserving their stories
I’d never made a work that was so public before
This was out live 24 – 7 – people would send emails with spelling mistakes
I decided to leave it as it was because that’s how
I had people break down on me
Very therapeutic
Because people would start emailing each other about the website I had to add a Tell a friend section. Some poople put their scar but not their image. I didn’t decide I;m going to do a website. It grew as the skin cells were growing in the laboratory. Sound bytes.
Links. Blogs. I had a gallery where people could write comments and photos of people talking to each other. Somebody had just logged on. The website satt in many spaces. It became a gallery piece. Strangers would start to talk to each other and show them their scars. Items of clothes would come off and it was interesting to see how a website was bringing people together. Recording anecdotal eveidence and personal perspectives.
Self-centred?
Philosophical?
Pick the letter f let’s see if there’s a funny scar story there.
I would document then post on the webite
I stood at a party once and was asked what do I do. I said I’m a collector. I collect scars.
I get told about the scar’s creation. It was an intimate exchange and I become a carrier of a personal history. A memory is now. An archice online is a wa y of preserving a memort in the the present.
I see a scar it was uncovered for a moment. It’s raised and when I bend my arm you can’t get rid of the bloddy thing/
When you talk of scars you’re talking about something personal to somebody.
A group of people were talking about their scars and I saw ripples of discourse. I weatched people move like scar cells. They become carriers of the story. The movement of data is updated and shifted it moves sites it makes new links. It creates new feeds.
I’m going to show you some of the people.who emailed me.
Alain looks at the screen. Rhiannon tells me she needs a pee.
You might have questions. Maybe they can go on the blog.
Anything we can pool?
Yes – I’ve got this scar!
I do a lot of live blogging so I don’t live blog. I take copious notes. I didn’t do that. I know I’ll take some pictures. I took a picture with my pda. I’ll take some video. Then I thought I’ll get my mobile phone out and I sent a comment to your blog.
Then my phone kept ringing.
I lost my pen.
I did something unusal. I decided to listen. I stayed awake.
The need for technology was superceded by the community.
It was funny havint paper. The point I wanted to raise was there is a real unease about online spaces. Has anyone been asked to be removed.
We are starting to realise whatever we put on the web is published there is an implication
They are publishing it
It is starting to have some effect
How many people on your website are real?
I was really curious do you know who the first ones were to go to your blog. Setting it up in gallery spaces. IN the gallery situation Bologna posed naked in the door in the museum. Two of my7 students wanted to do the same. They wanted to pose themselves naked in two different doors. They wanted to see which door was most popular.
It happened organically. People hit on it. Online by mistake. Tell a friend function. Interacting with it through a tell a friend function. Were you elsewhere? Bringing something else into here? Anything else you brough back in it?
From the gallery sector. I wanted to offer a couple of parallels. Photo that I’m not allowed to take out of the gallery. Shows picture before, during and after restoration. Does it change your view of the work of art knowing that so many people had touched it. We cocommissioned an exhibition by Van Gogh – one of the pictures was decredited. Absolute apogee of artistic autership was now something else.
Is there a suggestion that with some of the technological there is a
Fact or fiction. Evil blogger in the mid-West. Encyclopedia Britannica whatever that is. Photography has made a very interesting journey already. Absolute integrity of the negative. Very earnest discussions about people like Capra. Infinite shades of grey.
Emerging things we did think of very problematically we think of the web.
Is it real. It’s about context.
I’m remoinded about a little story. Paul Trevor series of photographs of a television set. He wanted to have a show there. He didn’t think much of these images.
Gravity – that’s easy.
One of the things about living in this context is the flow of information. Book of images from the television screen. Interactivity. Opens things up in a much more interesting way. There is something about copyright. Capturing images is intellectual property. That;s his property. Etchical issues. What you put into a domain for other people to capture.
You personally capture some moment of time yourself. Because you’ve seen it. Making a selection. Making a book. I’m intrigued to be of the generation whre the word is on the page.
Maybe there not very good at text. Technology versue biology. Body language about the way they use their voice. Usiong text. If we were using voice we’d get back to people.
Let’s get something ready about memory. Archiving memory. How many memory stimuli are there that aren’t in words.
I wanted to say to you – just wanted to speak to you about the value of museums.
I don’t hunt back online. Maybe the museum is more present.
We are touching the iceberg. I’m pleased you were able to participate. Thank you.
Thank you for attending this session it’s certainly a different one for this conference.
No comments:
Post a Comment